BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, May 15, 2010

We are in New Mexico!

This was a big day for me as I knew that we would be leaving Texas and entering one of the places I have wanted to see for a long time. New Mexico! Even the day before yesterday when we were driving through the backroads of west Texas I got excited because things started to look "deserty" as I put it. The mountains had sparser greenery on them, the trees started turning to more brush, and we started to see orange dirt. I can imagine how funny this probably sounds to some people but hello, I've lived in Florida all my life. I've never seen stuff like this, haha. So today I buckled in looking forward to a beautiful change in landscape on the way to Carlsbad. I was a bit disappointed at first because we ended up on a very industrial stretch of road, quite the contrast from the country backroads we had the other day. Then we endured the visual pollution (as I like to call it) of oil rigs everywhere. Yuck. They look like dinosaurs which I think is an amusing metaphor for what they really are anyway. We also saw our first wind turbines, very exciting moment of us all as well, looming behind the oil rigs ironically enough.

Once we entered the "land of enchantment" as they call it here, the oil rigs started to be less prevalent and we enjoyed a beautiful stretching land of brush, sand, rocks, and some lovely orange/yellow wildflowers along the roadside. They looked almost like bouquets I could just pick out of the ground. I knew we had arrived for sure when Riders on the Storm from The Doors came on the radio right around the time we entered Carlsbad.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

so glad your safe once again.. glad you finally seen some desert and hope you like it good.. you wont see much more than the desert from here on out.. keep us posted on the adventures while your there..watch for the snakes and scorpions for sure.. cant wait to hear about the caves.. sounds like fun.. enjoy and i hope your allegies are better now? love mom

The Valentines said...

Amy, thanks for your reading comment - I think once it starts, they can't stop themselves, she keeps shouting out all the signs as we drive along, LOL!
I am envious that you are in Carlsbad at this time of year. The walk down into the cave was far more interesting for our kids than the actual cave itself - go figure...
We were too early in the year for the bat exodus at night but the pics looked amazing, I'm sure Rik will get some great ones as I imagine the bats are back now - excited to see what you think - enjoy!
Don't forget to visit Guadalupe NP either; it's a little further away but their visitor center is cool and it has some neat history. One of the first parks we came across that taught us about Wilderness land with the NPS.
Ali

Little House On The Mesa said...

Oh, I hear you on the reading. Ellery is always talking about his book and it takes me a minute to figure out he is talking about a story and not real life.

Unfortunately my feet are still healing so we will be taking the elevator down to the caverns and any hiking at Guadalupe is probably out of the question. Bummer:(

Ima and Mizz.J said...

Not thinkin' you're silly over here, mama. I just visited the desert for the first time last year and I was in absolute awe. Went to AZ. Whoa. I'm a native New Englander.