BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Counting our blessings

I'm not going to lie. This past month has been rough. I haven't been posting much because I felt like I didn't have much of anything positive to say. Sure, the positive is always there if you can dig deep enough but when your immediate attention seems surrounded by fear it can be hard to dig far enough to find it. Since this has been our first holiday ever away from family it has been a bit more emotional. Granted, I didn't expect it to be so difficult but the financial constraints have compounded it all.

Thanks to the lovely woman at the health food store who helped me find a good St. John's Wort with Lemon Balm supplement inexpensively and to our family and friends, near and far, I am finding myself in better spirits. There are the cards and gifts that have trickled in from Florida. The tree is full of gifts for the kids from afar. There are the little things like the handmade candles my mom sent me and even better, the fed ex package I got from my friend Darla of all the candlemaking supplies I left behind. Then there are the two trees lovingly donated by locals and friends....the homemade pie, meat, and herbs our cagefree family friends brought over today along with their kind invitation to pick us up and take us to their house on Christmas day. Riki will be working a string of doubles the entire weekend so it will do us some good to get out of the house.

I would like to leave it on that note. Tomorrow night the kids and I will be watching the Grinch from netflix with some yummy organic eggnog topped with homemade whipped cream (mine with rum of course), and a candy cane on the side. Then they will each open the one gift a piece from us before the barrage of gifts from santa and family on Christmas morning. Riki will be here briefly in the morning before having to leave for work and we will spend the rest of the weekend celebrating with our new friends here in Taos.

5 comments:

liz said...

it just sounds fantastic.. although you all and mostly you will be missed this year.. (it is your first ever missed christmas after all), im glad that you have found a way to make it work for you . the plans you have made sound great.. go and enjoy.. thats all you can do.. live for the moment.. im sure you will be fine and have fun.. live the day through your kids eyes.. and you will be laughing in no time .... love you and miss you very much...

Mouse said...

I wish your family much prosperity & happiness this holiday season & in the new year! Much Love from the House of Mouse to the Little House on the Mesa!!

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I've included it on a site I've created, which is a compilation of some of the best blogs in the city.

Best of Blogs Mesa
http://bestofblogsmesa.wordpress.com

Cynthia said...

I want to wish you and your family the warmest of holidays. Your blog is a recent find for me and already you have helped me in ways you can hardly imagine. On a completely emotionally miserable night several weeks ago when I was unable to sleep with all the demons in my head, I rose at 3:00AM and the first thing I read was your post "The art of being present". It was as though the universe was offering me exactly what I needed, exactly when I needed it. Thank you.

Little House On The Mesa said...

Aw Cynthia, I'm so glad I could be of help to someone. That always gives me hope when I am battling my own demons so to speak;)