BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Our time here is almost to an end

We have really enjoyed staying here on the outskirts of Albuquerque and seeing all of the little surrounding mountain towns. We have truly had the best of both worlds where we could go enjoy the city and then retreat to our little rustic rv park in the mountains. This is probably our favorite park so far because of location and its laid back vibe. It has started to feel a lot like home but alas we must move on and find even better things I'm sure!

I've been busy working. Yes, working I tell you. We have determined that if we ever want some kind of rural land we are going to have to figure out a way to make money from home. I've been working my fingers to the bone on knittting projects, trying to come up with some cool dread tams, headbands, and such. I'm certainly not expecting to make a real living but you have to understand that I'm the kind of person who never follows through with anything. I talk myself out of it for aforementioned reasons and ego talk gets in the way. This time I've got to focus and follow through, even if I only sell one hat on etsy. We have talked about maybe doing a combo vending setup with small knitted items and other wholesale stuff that is small enough to take in the rv like incense, perfume oils, etc. I have to at least TRY to do this. I know other people have been able to make it work. If I could get some kind of business off the ground and Riki could start selling some of the beautiful landscape photography he has taken here, maybe we could make it work. Who knows.

Then I keep going back to the doula thing which would definitely be a more guaranteed income. The problem is I don't know how well that would work in a more rural setting. At this point I don't even have a car. So I don't know. I'm not completely setting that aside as an option but for now I want to focus on my knitting and hope that by the cooler months I can see some kind of side income there. Thanks to Tara from the Follow That Bus crew for giving me that little push I needed:) I was always knitting something and she would be like "hey, you should sell that", with all kinds of marketing ideas because she is just like that, lol. I enjoy being creative but I'm not so good at putting it into a business perspective like she is so I really needed her influence and encouragement. I think that sometimes we meet people on our journey who are soulmates of sorts that we are supposed to meet at that point in time for various reasons. I've been seeing that a lot on this trip and she is a prime example.

Heck, if we even had some old fashioned skill that would be marketable to an intentional community that might be beneficial as well. So I feel that delving into that is something I need to do right now and call it work...even though I might not be getting paid for it yet.

In a couple of days we are headed to Taos to stay with some gracious blog friends who shall remain anonymous since I don't know if they want me to mention them or not. In the meantime we have a couple of solar panels to install (yes, we got some solar panels!) and I've got a sun oven coming in the mail today.

9 comments:

Mouse said...

I think that you have an awesome opportunity to sell to people who (I imagine) would find it hard to order things online due to their nomadic nature (having objects delivered I mean..)-- Its definitely worth a try!

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for a month or so... found you from another blogger who was reading you...I envy your life choice to live out of your House on Wheels. I am wondering if you could would have any interest in working in specialty yarns and textiles. They require considerably less labor, you can dye raw wools in small containers and the wool is light weight. Just a thought. Hope your travels are safe.

S said...

You sound alot like me! Are you a sagittarius by any chance?? lol

Cam said...

Found my way here via Cage Free, and I am glad that I did!

You mentioned Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park, and it caught my eye. I live in southern/coastal Georgia, and drove past the park/Live Oak just last Friday, and will see it again tomorrow! You are right, it is beautiful there!!

We are transplants here, and I doubt very much we'll stay longer than a few years, but I am enjoying some of the scenery while we're here!

Jenna Gayle said...

I think you can do it if you set your mind to it! :) I'm also one of those people who get these "great ideas" get bored and sit it aside. Eventually I'll come back to it, but that's just how I roll! We have the occasional festivals in my itty bitty town that allows you to set up booths without a fee. I'm sure you'll find places like that to sell and even if you only make a few sales, you're not out of anything and you get to people watch ;)

Little House On The Mesa said...

Anonymous, I do have an interest in dyeing and maybe spinning. I just don't where to start with it. Spinning seems very time consuming and buying bare yarn to dye seems like it could be costly...still thinking about it though.

Cam, actually I'm a Taurus. Both of my children are Sagittarius! If you get a chance check out Suwannee. There is Magnoliafest and Bear Creek coming up this fall;)

Unknown said...

You are welcome to blog about us ;-) We're looking forward to seeing you all tonight!

xo

Aimée

The Valentines said...

Amy, good luck with your new venture. I bought a knitted coffee bodum cover from Etsy for Christmas, so there are people out there looking for original hand-made items!

Ali

Gannon3502 said...

when ever i hear of that city, i think of weird Al's song about it:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8293203147995019225#